|Macro-nutrients (mg / l – ppm, dry)||Coconut Sugar||Brown Sugar||Refined, White Sugar|
“The glycemic index of coconut sugar based on test results from the Philippines, USA, Japan and Australia is in the range of 35 to 54 GI per serving. Other sugars such as refined white sugar, muscovado sugar, and molasses have a range of 65 to 100 GI per serving! Other natural sweeteners such as date sugar has a 100 GI per serving, Maple Syrup has 69+ GI per serving and Honey has a 70+ GI per serving.” from https://www.sugarcoconut.com/health-benefits/glycemic-index.html
And there is no “refinement” process for Coconut Sugar like there is for white-table sugar.. They take the sap from the coconut tree flowers, the sap is heated to evaporate out the moisture and what’s left behind is Coconut Sugar!! Click HERE to learn the 10 Reasons I Love Coconut Sugar All sweeteners need to be used in very strict moderation, because it’s easy to get carried away and over consume. Even healthier sweeteners can be a problem, if you eat too much. Who doesn’t love Caramel Popcorn!? I know I do, but I was really craving something salty-sweet. So, I modified the traditional method and pre-seasoned my popcorn with a drizzle of butter and added sea salt to my caramel for an extra punch!
Salted Caramel Popcorn, made without refined sugar!
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Pop popcorn, Drizzle 1/8 cup butter over popcorn, sprinkle with sea salt and toss to mix, set aside
- In a small saucepan with a candy thermometer combine Water, Coconut Sugar & Vanilla
- Cook over medium heat do not stir, swirl pan gently or use a pastry brush dipped in water to wipe the coconut sugar crystals down. When it reaches "Soft Ball" state (240F) remove from heat and gently wisk in: 1T Butter, Baking Powder & Sea Salt (more or less to taste)
- Drizzle carmel over pre-buttered popcorn, toss to evenly distribute. All your popcorn won't be completely coated - remember you don't want to over do it, this is still part of a healthy diet, right?!
- Spread the carmel coated popcorn on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 5 minutes.