I don’t know about you, but I LOVE a creamy bowl of Clam Chowder! I’ve been making this chowder for several years and I am really excited to share this recipe with you! Not only is this excellent made with dairy milk, but if you prefer to avoid dairy – I promise it’s equally excellent with coconut milk instead! (I have a casein allergy and tested the coconut milk version on a group of 4 hungry hunters – they LOVED it! Couldn’t even tell it was dairy free!) How do you like your soup?? I like LOTS of stuff in my soup, almost stew — So although I started out this recipe using just one can of each minced and chopped clams – I now use 2 of each – I LOVE a clam chowder thats FULL OF CLAMS, don’t you!?!? Oh – and in this pretty picture (below) I did add some steamed clams to make it pretty, but you don’t have to.. if you WANT to just steam them until they pop open then add them to your chowder as garnish!! … know what’s funny??? this pic is on a ratty old bench on my back porch and I LOVE the texture! If you’re currently doing a 21DSD, leave out the potatoes and use arrowroot powder – it will still be super yummy!
- 4 cups Peeled & Cubed Potatoes red skinned or yukons work great
- 4 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 1/4 pound bacon chopped in little pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup Onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot peeled & chopped
- 1/4 cup potato starch or arrowroot starch
- 8 ounces clam juice
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon White Pepper
- 2 6.5 ounce cans Minced Clams (drained and rinsed)
- 1 6.5 ounce can Chopped Clams (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups coconut milk (canned) or heavy cream
- Tabasco to taste
- Sea Salt to taste
- Simmer potatoes in the chicken broth, with a large pinch of salt for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender but not yet completely cooked (don't want them to fall apart!)
- Drain potatoes - reserving the cooking liquid from the potatoes!!! (you'll add it back into the soup later).. set the cooking liquid and potatoes aside.
- In a large pot, cook bacon pieces until crisp
- Add celery, onion, and carrots. Sweat the veggies until soft.. about 5 minutes
- Sprinkle in corn starch, stir and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the reserved potato cooking liquid/chicken broth, clam juice, bay leaf, thyme and white pepper. Simmer soup for 5 minutes or until thick.
- Add reserved potatoes, clams and coconut milk/cream and milk.
- Season with a few drops of tobacco, sea salt and additional white pepper as desired. Return soup to a simmer (do not boil) for about 3 minutes
- Remove bay leaf/thyme sprigs and serve!