It’s the middle of winter, there’s almost 2 feet of snow on the ground and I’m craving cheesy-comfort food. Using only the ingredients we have on hand, I tossed together a delicious 30 Minute Cheesy Hatch Chile Soup.
Over the summer our friend, Scott, gave us a big bag of roasted hatch chiles (which I’ve kept some in the freezer for a winter meal like this!) and they are the prefect smokey, lightly spicy compliment to a meaty, cheesy soup. While ground beef would work great, I used wild venison instead (and so many of you have been asking for vension ideas, too!).
- 1 pounds Ground Beef, grass fed or venison, elk, etc
- 1 tablespoon Homemade Seasoned Salt <-- get my recipe
- 1 teaspoon organic cumin
- 1 teaspoon organic chili powder
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 medium roasted hatch chile peppers seeded & chopped
- 2 medium Roasted Red Peppers (jarred or homemade) seeded & chopped
- 1/2 medium lime, juiced
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese (organic, cultured)
- 4 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- - Sea Salt to taste
- - Black Pepper to taste
- - Crushed Red Pepper Flakes for a spicy soup
- - cheddar cheese, shredded
- - chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, over medium heat saute ground beef until fully cooked. Season with seasoned salt, cumin and chili powder.
- Add lime juice, onions, garlic celery and peppers. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and stir well to melt and combine. Then add chicken broth, simmer over low for 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese and stir to melt/combine. Serve immediately or top individual bowls with additional shredded cheese and broil to melt. Garnish with fresh cilantro.