One of the best way to ensure you eat healthy throughout the week, is to prepare ahead of time so that you aren’t caught hungry without a plan! With these Sausage & Kale Omelets in a Jar you’ll always be prepared for a healthy meal no matter how busy you are.
By simply filling Wide-Mouth 1/2 Pint Canning Jars with your favorite omelet mixture (in this case sausage, kale and cheese) and baking them ahead of time, you have a perfectly portable, bake & take breakfast that’s ready to be quickly reheated.
This recipe is low-carb & primal diet friendly. If you’re avoiding dairy/strict paleo, feel free to omit the cheese.
If you don’t have access to a kitchen to reheat breakfasts/lunch/dinners at work – Grab one of these HotLogic Personal Portable Ovens – It’s how Ray is able to enjoy hot breakfast & lunches while at work, right in his work van! No kitchen needed! It works with a standard electrical outlet or in your vehicle with a car charger power inverter.
- 6 Wide-Mouth 1/2 Pint Canning Jars
- avocado oil spray
- 3 ounces pork sausage
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 1 clove Garlic pressed or minced
- 1/2 medium Onion
- 2 tablespoons Ghee butter or coconut oil
- 3 ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 wedge lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 12 large eggs beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare jars by lightly spraying with avocado oil and placing on a cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink. Remove from skillet, drain and set aside.
- In the same (dirty) skillet, cook kale, onion and garlic in ghee over medium heat until soft and cooked through. Season with a pinch of sea salt & black pepper, crushed red pepper and lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- Add sausage to kale mixture and mix well. Divide between prepared jars and top with shredded cheese.
- Season beaten eggs with sea salt and pepper. Divide between jars and using a fork lightly mix.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until cooked through*.
- Allow to cool completely, then cover with a lid and refrigerate. Reheat for a quick, make-ahead breakfast.