Keto Cream of Asparagus Soup
My Keto Cream of Asparagus Soup tastes like spring in a bowl! Made with just a few simple ingredients, including fresh or frozen asparagus and blended into a quick, healthy keto soup in less than 15 minutes.
I’m very vocal about how much I love winter the most, especially when it’s a year with lots of snow, but I have to admit that I feel that spring is the most exciting time of the year.
Just as winter is coming to an end, inevitably even my homebody, cold weather loving self, is getting the itch to get outside. This year, with spending even more time at home than ever (hello pandemic), I’ve definitely been feeling more anxiety, sleeping less restoratively and truly craving the sun.
As soon as the March temperatures start raising over 40F, you’ll find me on the porch drinking my morning coffee, spending afternoons getting our garden ready and evenings outside walking with the dogs.
By mid-March I’ll be starting our tomato seeds and Ray starts frantically searching for the first Morel Mushroom of the season.
But the real sign that Spring has Sprung is when asparagus shows up at our local farmers market!
Asparagus is the Symbol of Spring
There’s something so uplifting about seeing the bundles of green asparagus spears, along side bright red strawberries and other cool weather loving veggies lined up on the farmer’s market table. It’s always the official sign that our 6 months of warmer weather are finally HERE!
Despite what it may seem, since I create such a wide variety of recipes professionally, we primarily eat very basic meals. Most often we enjoy steamed asparagus with butter as a side dish to dinner but when asparagus is in season it’s inexpensive enough to use in more fun ways, like a low carb asparagus soup!
How to Make Keto Cream of Asparagus Soup
Making an easy cream of asparagus soup takes only 15 minutes and a few simple ingredients.
What ingredients do you need to make cream of asparagus soup?
- Asparagus – Of course the star of this low carb asparagus soup is asparagus you’ll need about a pound. While fresh works amazingly in this creamy asparagus soup, but you can also use frozen asparagus I that’s easier or when asparagus isn’t in season.
- Chicken Bone Broth – but vegetable broth can be used if that fits better for your way of eating. I make a couple batches of homemade bone broth in my pressure cooker every month to use in various recipes, you can also purchase high quality bone broth or feel free to try this jarred bullion added to water.
- Ghee – Dairy fat like ghee or butter naturally pairs with asparagus, but coconut oil or avocado oil are swaps that I suggest if you don’t tolerate dairy. I lean towards to ghee for cooking because it’s shelf-stable and has a higher cooking temperature without burning like butter does.
- Onions and Garlic, are staples in pretty much all the soups in my kitchen. A few other delicious options would be leeks, shallots or if you’re lucky, a couple fresh picked Ramps would be great too!
- Cream Cheese is a keto trick I use to give soups extra body without using a carb-laden thickener. It also adds creaminess and extra fat to keep your keto macros on point. You can swap in heavy cream if you’d prefer but your creamy asparagus soup will be thiner in consistency, so you’d definitely want to use some glucomannan as thickener like a do in my Keto Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Lemon, just a quick squeeze of a lemon wedge gives this easy asparagus soup a nice bright flavor. Don’t worry if you aren’t a lemon-fan, it’s not at all noticeable.
- Dill, compliments asparagus perfectly. Fresh dill or dried dill weed both work in this keto soup recipe.
- Spices and Seasonings are the final piece to the keto asparagus soup recipe. I rely on my homemade season salt at my go-to the recipe is easy and I promise it’s worth the extra step to toss together a batch! You’ll find yourself using it on everything!
You’ll give your asparagus, onions and garlic a quick saute then steam them in broth. Add cream cheese and season. Then give everything a quick blend until smooth and velvety.
Which Blender is the best for making Cream of Asparagus Soup?
Important note. I’ve had my Vitamix blender for over 10 years. I HIGHLY recommend the investment. I’ve tried so many other blenders with big promises but none will produce the perfect consistency that a Vitamix does. That being said, you need to always be cautions when blending warm soups, keep the level under half-way. Hot foods always expand when blending and can blow off the top from the steam, thus burning you. Go slow, be cautions, use common sense. This info is covered in your Vtamix instruction manual as well.
This soup, which can be eaten with a spoon as I show in my photos.. personally I enjoy sipping it form a big mug. It’s perfect for a chilly spring brunch or lunch!
Here are a few other spring healthy asparagus recipes you might enjoy:
- Healthy Sheet Pan Shrimp Asparagus Potato Dinner Recipe
- Keto Creamy Asparagus and Shrimp Alfredo
- Oven Baked Salmon Asparagus & Spaghetti Squash with Lemon Beurre Blanc
Keto Cream of Asparagus Soup
- 2 tablespoons Butter (or ghee)
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic pressed or minced
- 1 pound fresh or frozen Asparagus trimmed/coarsely chopped
- 2 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 wedge lemon, juiced
- 1.5 teaspoon Homemade Seasoned Salt <– get my recipe
- 1/4 teaspoon organic dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon Glucomannan
- sour cream garnish
- In a medium dutch oven or other similar pot, saute onions and garlic in ghee until soft.
- Add asparagus, lemon, crushed red pepper, spices and 1 cup of chicken broth. Cover and bring to a simmer for roughly 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is soft
- Cut cream cheese into cubes, add to soup. Stir to combine. Add remaining broth.
- Working in small batches, blend/puree cooked soup until smooth.
- Return pureed soup to the pot/stove. Season to taste with sea salt, if desired.
- Enjoy immediately. Will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
The directions were so easy to follow and the soup is absolutely amazing definitely a 5 star