Looking for a great recipe for Coconut Shrimp that’s Gluten, Egg and Dairy free? Look no further! (and even if you aren’t GF, EF, DF these are so amazing you won’t even miss those ingredients!) This is super simple and tastes amazing, especially when served with my Spicy Mango Sauce and Coconut Risotto!
Here’s what you need:
- 2 pounds of Raw Wild Caught Shrimp
- 1/3c Organic Coconut Flour
- 1/3c Organic Cornstarch or Arrowroot powder
- 1t Baking Powder
- 1/2t Sea Salt
- 1/2t Black Pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1T Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/2c Organic Coconut Milk
- Organic Shredded Coconut (approximately 2c)
- Fat for Frying (I used pork fat we rendered today, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, or my Whipped Cooking Oil will all work great)
If your shrimp are frozen, thaw in a bowl of room temperature water and drain. Peel your shrimp, leaving the tail, if desired.
Combine Coconut Flour, sugar, Cornstarch, Baking Powder, Salt, Black Pepper and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl. Add in coconut milk and enough water to make a batter.
Dip each shrimp in the Batter then dip into the Shredded Coconut to coat well. Set your breaded shrimp on wax paper until ready to fry. You can also freeze them for later – the batter will actually stay attached to the shrimp better if you fry them from frozen (works with most other fried foods too!)
Deep or pan fry until golden brown over medium heat. Allow to drain on paper towel lined plate and lightly salt.
Serve with my Spicy Mango Sauce (Click HERE for the Recipe) and Coconut Milk Risotto (Recipe coming soon!)