What grows together, goes together. My Keto Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Chanterelle Mushrooms is a celebration of how delicious fresh summer foods can be! And they are Keto, Low-Carb and Vegetarian friendly, too.
I honestly had no intention of sharing this recipe and that’s how these sort of things work. I made up this recipe for Keto Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats on the fly for lunch on a otherwise busy Wednesday simply with the intention on using up healthy, nutritious food we had on hand.
We had been out foraging the night before and got our first chanterelle mushrooms of the season…
and our garden is OVERFLOWING with zucchini. PLUS I have a case of whipped cottage cheese in the fridge…. that I’m OBESESSED with, but more on that later.
I didn’t strategically plan this post or do any keyword research for these Keto Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats 🙂 and I didn’t set up a fancy food photography photo shoot. I just made lunch then took a photo of it for instagram.
It was so DELICIOUS . Shockingly delicious and the photos were almost too good for just instagram.
Ray had to try them, so I made a bigger batch for dinner.
And another small batch for my breakfast the next morning.
So after 3 meals of the same thing, in a row. The recipe is defiantly worthy of sharing!
How to make Keto Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Making a zucchini boat is so easy. Using a spoon, simply scoop out the seeds from your zucchini, leaving only the flesh and skin behind.
Should you Salt your Zucchini before cooking?
Perhaps one of the most important things to do (after scooping out the insides) is to generously SALT your zucchini and let them rest for 15-30 minutes.
The salt draws the excess moisture out of the zucchini before cooking. This helps to ensure that your zucchini dish isn’t a watery mess.
You’ll see the liquid pooling in the bottoms of your zucchini boats, blot it with a paper towel before filling.
To be honest, this is NOT a sponsored post… however I am collaborating with Friendship Dairies on IG in July and they sent me a case of their whipped cottage cheese to use in photos.
My inclusion of their whipped cottage cheese in this recipe for Keto Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats is authentic. I’m so grateful that as a part of my job I get the opportunity to try new foods!!
What is Whipped Cottage Cheese?
Whipped cottage cheese is a spreadable, dip-friendly cultured dairy product. Thicker than sour cream but thinner than cream cheese.
If you don’t have whipped cottage cheese available at your local grocery store use a small curd and whip it up using a hand mixer.
To your whipped cottage cheese, add an egg, asiago cheese and fresh herbs. Then fill up those zucchini boats!
Bake the Keto Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats 375 for 20 minutes, the cheese filling will be baked but the zucchini won’t be mushy, it will still have a slightly firm texture. Then broil for 3-5 minutes or just until the tops are gently browned.
Generously top your cheese stuffed zucchini boats with sautéed chanterelle mushrooms.
What other mushrooms can you use in place of Chanterelles?
While chanterelles are amazing, you can use virtually any other mushroom (or mixture of mushrooms) in their place in these Keto Stuffed Zucchini . For an easy grocery store swap I’d use sliced baby portabella mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms.
I also think that fresh oyster mushrooms would be delicious on these Keto Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats, especially sautéed until the edges are a little crisp.
If you are new to chanterelles and/or foraging and would like to learn more, don’t worry! I have a new series coming soon but in the meantime I recommend starting HERE.
If you already love chanterelles, like me, check out these other amazing recipes I’ve created:
- Summer Wild Mushroom Paella with Chanterelles and Black Trumpets
- Chanterelle Crab Corn Chowder
- Chanterelle Herb Biscuits with Pine Nuts
- Chanterelle Mushroom Fondue
- Pressure CookerÂ Wild Mushroom Broth
- Wild Mushroom Seasoned Salt
- Savory Chanterelle Mushrooms Pancakes
Yours in Health,
Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Boats topped with Chanterelle Mushrooms
- 3 small/medium zucchini
- 2 cups Chanterelle Mushrooms
- 1 cup whipped cottage cheese
- 1 large Egg(s), Organic Pasture Raised
- 3/4 cup asiago cheese freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil chopped
- sea salt
- Ghee or butter
- Preheat oven to 375
- Halve zucchinis length wise and scoop out the seeds. Lightly salt and let rest 15-30 mintues to help release the excess moisture before cooking.
- Using a paper towel blot the surface of the salted zucchini to dry.
- Mix whipped cottage cheese, asiago, egg and fresh herbs, fill each zucchini boat.
- Bake filled zucchini for 20 mintues.
- While zucchini is baking, saute chanterelle mushrooms in ghee until cooked through and moisture is released/evaporated.
- Broil zucchini for 3-5 mintues to brown the top.
- Spread sauteed chanterelles overtop of the cheese stuffed zucchini. Enjoy!