It’s been a very wet & rainy few spring weeks here in Southwestern Pennsylvania and I don’t know about you but the dark/dreary days make us crave comfort food! This Amazing Gluten-Free Fried Chicken is the perfect way to get your crispy fried chicken fix without exposing your body to gluten!
And I promise, after making this delicious and crispy fried chicken, you’ll never crave the gluten-containing version again!
I want to stress one little thing, although many of you may not have a high tolerance for spicy foods, PLEASE do not let the hot sauce in this recipe cause you to pass it up. There is no heat, this chicken is not spicy, only full of flavor!
You can use any cut of bone-in or boneless chicken for this recipe, it makes both tradition fried chicken and boneless chicken tenders/nuggets equally delicious!
- Combine flour and seasonings in a large bowl, mix well. (or plastic bag)
- Beat eggs, buttermilk and hot sauce together and place in a medium bowl (I like to use a pie plate)
- Bread chicken pieces by coating them in the DRY mixture, then WET mixture, then DRY mixture (DRY-WET-DRY).
- Arrange breaded chicken pieces on wax paper lined plates/trays and chill in the freezer for a minimum or 30 minutes, or can be frozen for a day or so.
- In a large, straight-sided skillet, heat 2 to 3 cups of lard over medium heat.
- Fry chicken pieces 20+ minutes or until cooked through, turning every 5 minutes. (20 is perfect for large wings, for bigger pieces you may need to extend cooking times, use an instant read thermometer as needed to determine doneness)
- Transfer fried chicken to paper towel lined plate and season with additional sea salt. Allow to rest/cool 3-5 minutes before serving.