Apple Pie Kombucha
My fall favorite Apple Pie Kombucha was inspired by Jill of First Comes Health. Her amazing book Fermented opened my eyes to more flavoring options for my home-brewed kombucha. I encourage all of you to purchase her book!!
- Kombucha (single ferment)
- 2 Granny Smith Apples or other Tart Apple
- 2 Whole Cloves
- 2 Allspice Berries
- 1/2 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Liter Kombucha Bottle
- Using a JUICER (I recommend this juicer), juice your apples and pour your fresh apple juice into your 1 liter kombucha bottle
- Add your cloves, allspice berries, 1/2 a cinnamon stick and 1 Tablespoon of Coconut Sugar to your bottle
- Fill with kombucha, leaving about ½ inch of headspace, depending on the shape of the container.
- Cap tightly and shake gently to dissolve coconut sugar.
- Allow to ferment 3 to 7 days or until kombucha is carbonated to your liking.
- Move bottles to refrigeration for storage.
- When you are ready to drink it, open carefully, without shaking, to avoid spilling the bubbly kombucha over the top of the bottle.
- Strain kombucha through a small strainer in order to remove any clumps of spice. Serve cold.
Does this contain alcohol since it is a second ferment?
With all fermented foods/drinks there is a possibility of a fraction of a percent of alcohol depending on the length of fermentation. The 2nd ferment is not the determining factor. The idea that Kombucha is an “alcoholic” beverage is a fallacy