Puff Pastry French Onion Soup Spirals with Jarlsberg Cheese
All the delicious flavors of French Onion Soup in-between layers of flakey puff pastry with a flavorful punch of from Jarlsberg Swiss cheese! My French Onion Soup Spirals are the perfect appetizer for your next get together or make a batch to enjoy as a snack or light meal!
Admittedly I love french onion soup so much but it’s so much effort for a simple bowl of soup, so I’m always looking for ways to bring it’s flavor to different parts our weekly menu.
These French onion soup puffs are the perfect appetizer, snack or light meal. Filled with soft, caramelized onions and Jarlsberg® cheese, they are a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
The sweetness of the onions with the Jarlsberg® encased in a puff pastry spiral is the stuff dreams are made of. Perfect balance in every bite. It is the perfect canapé to serve with drinks and can be fully prepped ahead so great for festive parties.
Why is Jarlsberg the Best Cheese for French Onion Soup?
A better questions is why not Jarlsberg®? One of my favorite cheeses, it’s a creamy cousin to traditional swiss and a perfect balance to enhance french onion soup.
Jarlsberg® is famous around the world for its distinctive sweet and nutty taste and its large, round holes. It is available with or without its distinctive rind, either cut to suit your need, as a mighty 10 kg wheel or even individually packaged portions, that are one of my favorite portable snacks!
It’s such a wonderfully versatile cheese – whether you buy it as a regular staple for sandwiches, a complement for summer salads, a tasty addition to your cheese board or as an irresistible cheeky late night snack! Jarlsberg® is naturally lactose-free and suitable for vegetarians.
How to make Puff Pastry French Onion Soup Spirals
It’s so much easier to make French Onion Soup Spirals than it is to make a big batch of soup. With just a few delicious ingredients you can toss together a fancy looking appetizer that’s deceptively easy to make.
Lots of onions and garlic sautéed in butter with fresh thyme, worcestershire sauce, white wine, all rolled up in flakey puff pastry and brushed with egg, easy peasy! Watch my video (below) to learn how!
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then enjoy warm, room temperature or chilled, no matter the temperature they are always delicious!
Serve French Onion Soup Spirals with a dry white wine for the prefect pre-meal bite of finger-friendly serving of French onion soup.
If you like these Puff Pastry French Onion Soup Spirals try these related recipes:
- Easy Meatball Wellingtons
- Morel Asparagus Gruyere Quiche Recipe
- Homemade Pickled Red Onions
- Healthy Honey French Dressing
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Jarlsberg. All opinions are 100% mine.
Puff Pastry French Onion Soup Spirals
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 2 pounds sweet onions thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 large Egg(s) beaten
- 4 ounces Jarlsberg Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a large bakng sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove puff pastry from freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature while preparing the onions.
- In a skillet over medium/high heat melt butter, add onions, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Saute until cooked through and liquid had been relased and eveparoted.
- Add worcestershire sauce, white wine and thyme, continue to cook until the liquid is evpaoraged. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Spread out puff pastry sheet, lightly roll with a rolling pin to flaten the seams and make it slightly larger.
- Brush with beaten egg. Spread with onion mixture and top with shredded Jarlsberg cheese.
- Starting at the short edge, roll it up and slice into roughly 20 1/2 slices.
- Arrange on prepared baking sheet and brush with remainign egg.
- Bake at 400 for 15 mintues. Serve immediately.