My Chopped Blueberry Kale Quinoa Salad is the perfect way to enjoy summer’s bountiful harvest of blueberries & kale! And with the addition of shredded chicken (a perfect way to use leftovers) this salad doubles as a complete meal.
Quinoa isn’t an ingredient you see frequently here at Health Starts in the Kitchen, as a pseudo grain it is frequently problematic for those of us with celiacs and/or gluten intolerances, not to mention it high in carbohydrate.
Personally, I can only tolerate a small serving of quinoa occasionally, like as an addition to a delicious salad like this. Listen to your body to determine if quinoa works for you, if it doesn’t, no worries – this salad is wonderful without the quinoa too!
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
For the Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
- Combine dressing ingredients and whisk well. Can be made up to 5 days in advance. Refrigerate until ready to toss salad.
For the Quinoa
- Using a fine mesh strainer, throughly rinse quinoa with cold water and drain.
- Add broth, quinoa and sea salt in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Allow cooked quinoa to rest (covered, but removed from heat) for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork prior to serving. Quinoa is best room temperature or chilled for the salad.
- Combine kale, green onions, chicken, quinoa, feta cheese and blue berries in a large bowl. Toss with dressing.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!