The inspiration for what I cook are actually very, um, well, uninspiring. Our everyday meals consist of what we have on hand, whether local/seasonal or in the pantry. I’m not really the kind of person that regularly comes up with an idea and then buys things specifically (unless I’m working on a cookbook, then that’s a whole different story).
These amazing Crispy Chicken Thighs with Morel, Ramp & Kale Cream Sauce are the perfect example of how easily you can create an awesomely delicious dish with foods you have on hand in your fridge, no special shopping need.
A photo posted by Hayley Ryczek (@healthstartsinthekitchen) on
The kale was in the freezer from last years garden and needed eaten up.. and well, we all should have cream or at least coconut milk in our kitchen’s at all time, right??! Oh, yes a little cheese and butter, too.
Well, there you go. That’s what I had to work with and I made dinner. Easy as that.
I’m super swamped so I’m out of creative, funny or witty things to say (with cookbook #2 wrapping up this month) so I’ll get right to the recipe 🙂
The first thing you’re going to need is to get those chicken thighs cooking – I used my Cast Iron Crispy Chicken Recipe – we have them often. You could also try Cracklin’ Chicken by Nom Nom Paleo, if you want a boneless option instead they are delicious too.
- 4 Cast Iron Crispy Chicken Thighs (prepare while making the sauce)
Morel, Ramp & Kale Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup Organic Grass-Fed Butter or Ghee or ghee
- 2 cups morel mushrooms (or 1 cup dried, reconstituted in warm water)
- 1/4 cup chopped ramps or shallot
- 2 cups chopped kale fresh or frozen, tightly packed
- 2 cups Heavy Cream, A2 Pasture Raised or coconut milk/cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Sea Salt to taste
- White Pepper to taste
- While your Cast Iron Crispy Chicken Thighs are cooking... in a separate skillet over medium heat saute morels and ramps in butter for 3-5 minutes or until soft and cooked through.
- Add kale and saute another 1-2 minutes then pour in cream and reduce heat to low.
- Allow cream and veggie mixture to lightly simmer for a few minutes, until your chicken thighs are almost done. Then gently add in the shredded cheese, stirring to combine.
- Cook your sauce until it's as thick as you'd like. Serve your chicken on top, enjoy!