Grandma always had countless jars of homemade canned pickled beets on her pantry shelves that she made over the previous summer. Her Pickled Beets were the perfect way enjoy her beet harvest year-round.
But, you don’t have to grow your own beets and fill your canning pantry with jars of pickled beets to enjoy the sweet & sour flavors of my Grandma’s beets with my Easy Refrigerator Pickled Beets!
And I can’t think of a better way to enjoy the delicious flavor of beets than marinating them in a sweet and tangy brine with red onions.
Yes, my Easy Refrigerator Pickled Beets are just that easy, Cook/peel/cut beets and soak them in sugar vinegar water.
BOOM in just about a week you have Pickled Beets to enjoy!
My favorite way to enjoy my Easy Refrigerator Pickled Beets is on top of a garden salad smothered in my homemade ranch dressing – there’s something so addictive about the sweet/tangy beets paired with the creamy ranch!
These are also the key to making my beautiful Beet Pickled Eggs (recipe coming soon) which are a perfect addition for your Easter Dinner!
How to Cook Beets:
- Trim the top stem to roughly 1 inch and throughly wash your beets.
- Place washed beets in a large pot of water and boil for roughly 20 minutes, or until tender. (just like boiling potatoes, the larger beets will take longer to cook)
- Strain cooked beets in a colander and cool your beets by running cold water over them.
- When your beets are cool enough to safely handle, with your faucet is running with cold water, use your hands to slip the skin off the beets. Trim the remaining stems and root to be flush with the beet bulb.
- Cut or slice cooked beets as desired.
To make pickled beets:
- Combine vinegar, sugar and water in a small sauce pan. Heat to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In glass jar(s) or container(s) with a tight fitting lid, layer cut up beets and sliced onion.
- Pour vinegar/sugar/water over top. Add additional water if needed to fully submerge the beets in the liquid.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and place in the refrigerator for 5-7 days before enjoying. Refrigerator pickled beets will keep for about 2 months.