Lacto-Fermented Horseradish Beet Relish
One of my most fond holiday memories is Easter Dinner at my grandmothers house. She would put out a small jar of homemade Horseradish Beet Relish to have with our easter ham and hard boiled eggs. The sweet, hot & tangy flavors are so unique. I adapted her recipe to be a probiotic-fermented relish so that it’s not just really yummy but wonderfully healthy addition to any meal.
- In your blender or food processor combine horseradish, beets & whey. Process until finely chopped (not blended smooth) into a grated-like consistency.
- Pour mixture into a 2 quart mason/canning jar, adding sea salt.
- Cover jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Allow jar to sit at room temperature and out of direct sun light .
- Open jar daily to allow any built up gases to release.
- After 3 -4 days transfer your jar to the refrigerator.
- Relish is ready to eat and will keep for up to a year in the fridge.
Can you omit the whey?
The whey is the fermentation agent and cannot be omitted for this recipe.
Hi, just discovered your site and this sounds delicious! Wondering where to purchase whey…..thanks.
Thank you for your response. I will be doing this soon!