The first time I had Braised Short Ribs, it was with my friend and boss at the time, Megan O., at some super chic LA restaurant (back when I actually got dressed and left the house to work in retail fashion buying). The short ribs were amazingly tender and had such an abundance of favor. Not long after that meal, I started making them at home.
The key to tender short ribs, which are notoriously tough cut of meat on the bone, is braising. Braising is a cooking technique in which the main ingredient is seared, or browned in fat, and then simmered in liquid on low heat in a covered pot. Braising makes tough cuts of meat, tender and delicious by cooking low and slow. Most often braising is done in a dutch oven in the oven for several hours or in a crock pot all day.
The problem is that in our fast-paced lives and even though I work from home, it’s easy to forget to start dinner early in the morning. By using your pressure cooker you can reduce the cooking time to just an hour and have the same results!
I’ve been using a pressure cooker in my kitchen for years, but it wasn’t until I got an electric pressure cooker (multi cooker) did it become an appliance I used almost daily. The drawback to using a stove top pressure cooker is that it required constant supervision. You have to monitor the stove burner temperature to maintain steady pressure by watching a gauge or listening to the rhythm of the pressure gauge’s jiggle/hiss sound.
An electric pressure cooker (multi cooker) is very similar to a crock pot where you can set it and forget it. Although, I don’t leave home with it running, I can go outside or into another room without worry while it’s safely doing all the cooking. And if you are worried about safety in regards to the old-wives tails about pressure cookers, rest assured that the new electric pressure cookers (multi cooker) have safety features to make it safe enough for a child to operate!
When you are done with work for the day all you have to do is season and brown your ribs then start your electric pressure cooker. (OH! and you do all of that in the same pot!!)
For the next hour you can help your kids with homework or like me, take the dog outside to play ball. When it’s done cooking, your electric pressure cooker will naturally depressurize then switch over to warm all on it’s own, so there’s no need to baby sit it upon completion.
I like to serve these Pressure Cooker Braised Short Ribs with steamed broccoli or asparagus and Butternut Squash Puree or Mashed Potatoes, both of which I also make in the pressure cooker to save time.
And as always, I only recommend eating meats from animals humanely raised exclusively on organic pasture, preferably local!
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Seasoned Salt
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil or other healthy saturated cooking fat
- 1 large Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cups diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cups bone broth (chicken or beef)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 teaspoon organic cumin
- 2 organic bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Seasoned Salt
- Combine 2 T seasoned salt and cassava flour in a smal bowl. Light coat short ribs with mixture.
- Preheat your pressure cooker on brown or saute. When the pot is hot, add cooking fat.
- Working in batches, brown short ribs for 2-3 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Transfer browned short ribs to a plate and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic, scraping up any brown bits from he bottom of the pot. Cook until onion is soft, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, mustard, honey, cumin, bay leaves and 1t seasoned salt. Bring to a simmer (still on brown/saute) then add browned ribs back into the pot.
- Cover with the lid and cook under pressure for 1 hour.
- Allow to depressurize naturally. Meat should be fork tender and falling off the bones.
- Carefully remove from ribs from the pot and transfer to a plate.
- Using the brown or saute function (or transfer remaining liquid to a pot and on the stove top cook over high if you are using your pressure cooker to make squash puree) for 10+ minutes to reduce to your desired thickness to use a sauce or light gravy. Return ribs to the thickened sauce and heat over low until ready to serve.