I’m not going to try to talk myself or you into believing that this is a healthy recipe, because it’s not. Trust me, I’ve looked at every angle there is and it’s just not healthy BUT it is a delicious and healthier version of caramel popcorn when compared to store bought bags and corn-syrup containing recipes.
Since we don’t eat sweets often, I don’t keep many sweet-recipe ingredients on hand. So, when it’s Sunday evening and I get a hankering for a sweet-treat, it’s essential for me to find creative ways to transform the few things I have into a delicious snack.
I was actually craving a rice crispy treat but crispy rice cereal isn’t a ‘real food’ in my book, but I did have a bag of all-natural mini marshmallows I’ve been itching to use. Then when I went searching for a puffy, crispy alternative – I found popcorn….
I like popcorn 2 basic ways buttered or buttered + sweet. I didn’t feel like making my traditional salted caramel popcorn and really wanted that marshmallow chewy-ness.
And that’s how Marshmallow Salted Caramel Popcorn was born.
Doesn’t it look delicious? I mean really, I just ate a big bowl of it and this picture is still making my mouth water!
The salty-sweet caramel flavors with the soft-chew of marshmallows – that comes together in just minutes. No thermometer required! Just heat & whisk and pour the salty-sweet deliciousness overtop of fresh popped popcorn.
Oh and one last thing, don’t be ‘that-guy’ and point out the obvious not-perfectly-healthy aspects of this recipe. Nobody has time for Mr. or Mrs. Obvious stating what we all already know.
I do, however, hope that next time you’re looking for a sweet-treat that’s just a little naughty, you’ll try this recipe 🙂 I promise it will become a new favorite.
Marshmallow Salted Caramel Popcorn
- Get your popcorn poppin' - we use an electric air popper. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, over medium heat, combine butter and coconut sugar. Whisk until combined and smooth. It may take a few minutes, just keep whisking.
- Once your butter and coconut sugar is melted/whisked into a smooth caramel, reduce heat to low and add marshmallows one cup a at time and whisk until smooth.
- Toss popped popcorn with melted marshmallow caramel sauce and gently sprinkle with sea salt.
- We prefer to enjoy ours warm - but it can be stored in an airtight container for a few days, if you can resist eating it all warm 🙂