Grain Free Triple Berry Tartlets
I was trying to come up with a paleo friendly, grain & dairy free dessert to make for my hubby’s birthday. He doesn’t get especially excited about desserts but does like berries and anything pudding-ish. Then I found these cute individual (4-5 inch) tart pans and I just HAD to make him berry tartlets! I got so stressed out making these tartlets, I’m not a baker and I get so nervous… Luckily they turned out AMAZING! And don’t let the looks of these deter you, they are actually really simple! The crust is made in your food processor and trust me it will seem like it’s not going to turn into a dough but it will, just follow my directions 🙂 As a little surprise, after you bake your tart crusts and they are still hot – melt & spread dark chocolate in the bottom (spread using the back of a spoon)
When your chocolate lined tartlet crusts are cooling, you’ll make your pastry cream. It will need to chill, but don’t forget to press plastic wrap or parchment paper onto the surface of the pastry cream so that it doesn’t get a thick skin on top of it. Once your pastry cream and crusts are chilled, fill the crusts with the pastry cream and top with generous amounts of fresh berries. This recipe will make 4, 4in tartlets – you’ll need a small clamshell pack of each blueberries, raspberries & black berries.. Aren’t these seriously some of the prettiest desserts??
For the Crust:
- 1 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 teaspoon Arrowroot Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 4 tablespoons Coconut Oil or ghee/butter
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
For the pastry cream:
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (canned)
- 5 large Egg YOLK(s), Organic Pasture Raised
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Arrowroot Starch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- Mixed Berries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease your tartlet pans & set aside.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, sugar, gelatin, arrowroot and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 2-3 times to combine. Add ghee and pulse 10 times to combine and then process until mixture forms a dough.
- Thinly, press dough on bottom and up sides of tart pan.
- Place tart pan on top of a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until just turning golden brown.
- As soon as the crust comes out of the oven, sprinkle the chocolate over top. Let the chocolate sit for 3 minutes and then using the back of a spoon, spread melted chocolate evenly over crust and up the sides 1/2 way.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then place tart crusts in the refrigerator.
- Pour the coconut milk into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Combine yolks and sugar in the bowl of a standing mixture, whisk mixture on medium-high for 3 minutes until very thick.
- Reduce speed to low and add arrowroot, mix well.
- With mixer on low, slowly drizzle the hot coconut milk to the egg mixture.
- After the coconut milk has all been added to the egg mixture, pour the coconut milk/egg mixture back into the saucepan and heat over low heat.
- Whisk constantly until mixture forms a thick pudding.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, ghee, and almond extract.
- Transfer your pastry cream into a large bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pastry cream (this will prevent it from forming a skin).
- Chill pastry cream for about an hour.
- Pour cooled pastry cream over the chocolate in the tart pan and spread evenly.
- Chill tartlets filled with pastry cream in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Top with mixed berries, chill until ready to serve
These are so pretty, they would make a perfect Valentine’s Day dessert.