Fried calamari is one of my favorite appetizers, but when eating Paleo, Grain/Gluten-free it’s off limits, unless you make it at home. With my recipe for Paleo Fried Calamari you can take the guess work out of perfecting a light and crispy breading.
One of our favorite ways to enjoy Paleo Fried Calamari, is putting a heaping handful on top of a tossed or Caesar salad. The crispy calamari is the perfect replacement for croutons and giving you a little punch of protein.
Serve my Paleo Fried Calamari with a few lemon wedges and a bowl of tomato sauce, if desired.
- 1 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/2 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese* plus shredded for serving
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 1 pound calamari cleaned and sliced into roughly ½-inch-thick rings
- 3 Egg WHITE(s), Organic Pasture Raised beaten
- Lard or palm oil for frying
- Sea Salt to taste
- fresh parsely, chopped
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the starch, flour, Parmesan cheese, and pepper, using a whisk to break up any lumps. Mix well.
- Dredge the calamari in the dry ingredients, dip into the egg whites, and dip back into the dry mix.
- In a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed 5-quart pot, heat roughly 2 inches of fat to 300°F. Line a plate with paper towels.
- Working in small batches, fry the rings for 1 minute. (They will be crispy and light in color.) Drain on the paper towel–lined plate and season lightly with salt.
- Garnish with the parsley and shredded Parmesan cheese.