Ground Lamb swimming in a spicy Shawarma-inspired tomato broth with chickpeas, carrots and kale in this Spicy Lamb Chickpea Shawarma Stew will warm you up on a chilly winter day. Garnished with tangy whole milk greek yogurt and fresh cilantro to make it a meal worth sharing!
If you are anything like me, it’s easy to get stuck in a cooking rut. Even though I routinely push myself out of my comfort zone, experimenting with different flavors or cultural foods, I really don’t do it often enough.
Most of the meals that I make at home are pretty simple and have similar flavors that we grew up eating. However, today I took a leap and got a little funky in the kitchen creating a delicious, hearty Spicy Lamb Chickpea Shawarma Stew!
And even though it’s packed full of spices, you’ll see that I took a short cut. Instead of making a complicated blend of different spices, I started with garam masala, which isn’t typically used in Shawarma but gives us an easy starting point without requiring too many unique ingredients.
Yours in Health,
If you like this Lamb Stew Recipe, try these next:
- Easy Thick Beef Stew Recipe
- Christmas Eve Oyster Stew
- Spicy Brazilian Fish Stew
- Spicy Lamb Chickpea Shawarma Stew
Spicy Lamb Chickpea Shawarma Stew
Shawarma Spice Mix
For the Stew
- Combine spices in a small bowl, mix well.
- In a dutch oven or similar heavy bottom large pot, sauté onion and garlic in ghee until soft.
- Add lamb and cook until no longer pink.
- Add spices and tomato paste, cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (including juice), broth, carrots and chickpeas. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 5-10 minutes or until the carrots are cooked as desired.
- Add chopped kale, turn off heat and cover. Let the residual heat wilt the kale before serving.
- Garnish each bowl with a generous dollop of greek yogurt and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!