I love meatloaf. Always have. Meatloaf doesn’t have to be anything special, just has to have lots of flavor. Following in my mom’s footsteps, I make mine packed with lots of veggies but I omit Eggs & Grains. Yes, you can have a super moist, wonderful meatloaf without the extras!! (which is great if A. your out of eggs or B. for whatever reason you don’t eat eggs – I’m healing my autoimmune conditions) My technique is really simple, straightforward and my meatloaf comes together with very little effort…. Use your food processor to finely chop up your veggies….. my secret ingredient is lots of mushrooms!! They replace the grain you’d typically add in as a tender, binding ingredient. You can use any mushroom or combination you prefer. Today I used Maitake (aka sheephead, hen of the woods). Give’em a sautee in healthy fat and stir in a little organic tomato paste – make sure it’s in a jar not a can to avoid BPAs... mix with beef & pork.. Form meatloaf into a loaf pan, lined with unbleached parchment paper if your pan is aluminum or teflon coated, top with more organic tomato paste & bake!
Egg & Grain Free Meatloaf
- 1 pound Ground Beef, grass fed
- 1 1/2 pounds ground Pork
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1 large Onion peeled & coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled
- 2 cups white button mushrooms cleaned
- 1/4 cup fresh parsely, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil (unrefined) or ghee/butter
- 1/4 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- Sea Salt to taste
- 6 ounces Tomato Paste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine carrots, onion, garlic, mushrooms & parsley in your food processor and chop finely.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet, sautee vegetable mixture until well cooked, season liberally to taste with S&P and mix in 3T of tomato paste, allow to cool
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, cooled veggie mixture and almond flour, mix well
- Form your meatloaf in a loaf pan, top with remaining tomato paste
- Bake for 90 minutes at 350 degrees
- Allow cooked meatloaf to rest at least 30 minutes prior to slicing.