I searched high and low for the perfect Paleo, Grain & Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie Recipe – but alas all of them were sadly lacking. Most of the recipes I found were just chicken filling in a pie plate or casserole with some pseudo-crust like topping…. one recipe even told you to bake a round crust separately and put it ontop of your filling right before serving!
I wanted REAL chicken pot pie. Like the ones you buy at the grocery store freezer in the little boxes, with creamy filling and a crispy DOUBLE crust!
There are 5 Key Ingredients to my Perfect Chicken Pot Pies:
1. Individual Pie Plates – I purchased a set of 6 – 6 inch GLASS pie plates (buy HERE – they are so cheap!) ,they are the perfect size for an adult sized pot pie. You can also use the disposable aluminum ones at the grocery store but compared to the glass ones I bought they are just a waste of money not to mention cooking in aluminum isn’t healthy!
2. Chicken – I ALWAYS suggest using local/organic/pasture raised chicken it’s good for you, the planet, the chicken and your local farmer. I recommend making a whole chicken in your crock pot (my RECIPE) or in your pressure cooker (my RECIPE) … you can even use a store bought rotisserie chicken or left over Thanksgiving Turkey! and don’t forget to use those bones to make chicken bone broth – you’ll need it for the gravy!
3. Dough for the Crust – The dough is so easy. Just toss everything into your food processor and pulse a bunch of times (It’s the same dough used in my Beef & Cheese Taco Cups Recipe). The dough will look crumbly, but when you squeeze it with your hand it will hold together like a traditional pie crust dough, dump your crumbly looking dough onto the counter and knead it together then place in a plastic bag or wrap with plastic wrap. Allow your dough to chill for about 15-30 minutes before rolling out and I recommend rolling your dough out in between pieces of waxed paper. The dough is similar to a traditional pie crust dough only very delicate. Don’t be shocked if it falls apart a little, just press it back together. And for the bottom crust you can skip rolling out the dough all together and just press it into your pie pans (I use these 6 inch glass pie pans)
4. Gravy – I made a double batch of my Paleo, Grain & Gluten Free Chicken & Turkey Gravy (RECIPE), I used potato starch as the thickener in my gravy, if potatoes aren’t a food that works for your body then feel free to use the arrowroot. (will yield about 4 cups of gravy) If you are new to Potato & other resistant starches as a part of a paleo diet, read THIS
5. Veggies – Feel free to use any combination of veggies you like! I use Onion, Celery, Onion, Carrot, Lima Beans, Peas and Green Beans. Fresh and/or frozen will work fine, you can even use a bag of frozen mixed veggies if you’re ok with corn. A quick sauté will cook/thaw them all together.
For the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Lightly grease 6, 6 inch glass or metal pie plates
- Combine all the crust ingredients in your food processor and pulse to combine until dough will hold to ether when squeezed in your hand.
- Transfer dough to counter top or into a large bowl and knead gently into a dough. Dough will be smooth, add additional water or tapioca as needed.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 15-30 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, lightly cook vegetables in butter, season well with salt & pepper
- Add chicken and gravy to vegetables, stir well to combine, remove from heat and set aside.
- Divide your crust dough into 12 portions.
- Roll 6 portions (in-between layers of wax paper) into large circles and gently press into the bottom of your 6 pie plates
- Fill each pie plate with dough with 1/6th of the filing mixture
- Cover each pot pie with another rolled out circle of dough, crimp the edges and cut a few slits in the top
- Place assembled pot pies on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool prior to serving.