If you read my previous post, you won’t be surprised to hear that even though my Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins are totally delicious, it was nearly impossible for us to eat our way through all 24 of them over this weekend.
We even shared a few with our friends but still had some left over. While we LIKE sweets, we are more savory-fans. And that’s why you’ve probably noticed that I don’t often share sweet-recipes.
Instead of just freezing them for later, I decided to be creative and re-purpose my whole wheat blue berry muffins into a delicious Sunday Dinner Dessert.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffin Cheesecake Bread Pudding…….PHEW, that’s a mouthful, right?? But beyond delicious and super easy for a brunch treat or dessert.
And we’re totally enjoying it INSTEAD of having a big Sunday dinner.
You only live once. It’s okay to have dessert for dinner.
And if you’re feeling especially fancy, serve your Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffin Cheesecake Bread Pudding with my Vanilla Pudding Sauce.
As I am typing this post, Ray is nearly drinking the sauce. It’s that good.
For the Cheesecake
For the Custard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2.5 quart baking dish
- Place 1/2 of your torn muffins in the bottom of your pan.
- Cream together cream cheese, maple syrup and lemon extract with a hand mixer. Place teaspoons of cheesecake filling on top of your torn muffins.
- Top cheesecake with remaining torn muffins.
- Combine custard ingredients and mix well. Pour over top. Top with a sprinkle of sugar and sliced almonds.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 1 to 24 hours.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minute covered with foil. Then remove foil and bake another 30-40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to rest 30 minutes prior to serving.
- While your bread pudding is resting, make my Vanilla Pudding Sauce, if desired.
Vanilla Pudding Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together half and half, egg yolk, arrowroot, sugar, and salt. Over medium heat*, cook until mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil for 1 minute while still whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Can be served warm or chilled.