It really doesn’t get any easier than this. Since it’s just the 2 of us at our home, we make 1/2 chickens but this same super simple technique works the same with a whole chicken or even parts!! The best part of this is that you can start with frozen chicken (whole, half or parts) – sometimes we forget to thaw things too!!! (frozen chickens need just an extra 1-2 hours of cooking time, but at our house I normally start my crock pot around 7 am and we eat around 6 pm which is always plenty of cooking time!)
- Season chicken with Sea Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder
- Cook in crock pot on low all day with 1 cup of water OR cook dry (w/o water) on high all day for more roasted with crispy skin (updated 2/20/14)
- Remove your chicken from your crock pot, but leave all the yummy drippings…..
- When you’re done with dinner, return all the bones to your crock pot along with onion, garlic, celery, carrots and water….
- Cook your chicken soup in your crock pot all night!
- Wake up to beautiful Chicken Stock! Strain and Enjoy (or freeze for later)
No more complaints about how you don’t have time to cook. Or it’s too hard. Enough already, just make a chicken in the crock pot!
8/4/13… Today I put a 4 pound free range, completely frozen chicken, in my crockpot at 9 am on high with 2c water.. it was fully cooked and just starting to fall apart at 2pm.. I gently removed it from the drippings and put it on an ovenproof plate, let it rest…. at 5pm I broiled it (on low) to get the skin crispy…amazing…. served up with my 5 Steps-to-perfect Mashed Potatoes, Gluten Free/Paleo Chicken Gravy and Green beans & Mushrooms