Using refrigerated dough makes my Ramp Filled Crescent Rolls a breeze to make! Loaded with wild ramp flavor paired with cream cheese and gruyere, these will be on repeat all throughout ramp season!
I know, this ramp recipe thing is getting a little out of control! Pork Chops with Morel Ramp Cream Sauce, Wild Ramp Rice Recipe, Creamed Ramp Greens Recipe and Morel Ramp Potato Chowder Recipes all shared in the past month… and now these Ramp filled Crescent Rolls!
If you are new to ramps (and/or spring foraging) my Spring Foraging Post will bring you up to speed!
I THINK this is my last new ramp recipe of 2021, but I can’t make any guarantees with there still at least 2 weeks of the season left PLUS when cleaned, throughly dried and properly stored, ramps and ramp leaves will keep for at least 2 weeks in the fridge!
What’s in a Ramp Filled Crescent Roll?
To make ramp filled crescents you only need a few simple ingredients…
- Ramps – you can use a combination of ramp bulbs/leaves or only leaves. Fresh is best but if you have dried ramps, dehydrated ramps and freeze-dried ramps, those can be used. Just make sure you reconstitute them first in water.
- Butter – Generally speaking I prefer to cook with butter or ghee for most things. Other fats like avocado oil or coconut oil would work ok too.
- Cream Cheese – The bulk of the filling is made of up cream cheese, if dairy isn’t your thing feel free to use any non-diary option that you like.
- Gruyere Cheese – I’ve been loving the flavors of ramps with gruyere this year, if you can’t find it feel free to sub in Swiss or Jarlsberg. Heck, cheddar would also be great since it also pairs well with ramps.
- Salt and Pepper – no recipe is complete without seasoning!
How to make Ramp Filled Crescent Rolls
To get started, you’ll need to finely chop the ramps (bulbs and leaves or only leaves). You CAN do this with a knife but I prefer to use a mini food processor.
With ramps, their flavor is very bold when raw so I suggest giving them quick sauté in butter to make them much more mild and pleasant. Once your ramps are cooked, roughly 2-3 minutes over medium/high heat, stir in the cream cheese until melted. Remove from heat & allow to cool.
Unroll your crescent roll dough, spread each triangle with your cooled ramp cream cheese filling, then sprinkle with shredded cheese and roll up!
Arrange your filled/rolled crescent rolls with ramp filling on a baking sheet, I always suggest lining pans with parchment to make clean up easier. Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Now it’s time for the bad news.
I have to warn you these are seriously addictive and it’s very hard to eat just one. I purposefully make them only when I’ve promised to share with others, to ensure I don’t eat the entire batch myself!
The combination of cream cheese and shredded gruyere gives them the perfect filing that’s soft and cheesy but won’t leak out completely while baking.
And with the ramps, you probably already realize that a little goes a long way in the flavor department, right?!
I hope you enjoy these crescent rolls filled with ramps and cheese. They have become such a fun addition to our spring menu rotation as way to enjoy ramps.
Oh, and one last thing before you go. These can be frozen after baking. They will keep in the freezer in a sealed container for up to 3 months. So these ramp crescents are also a sneaky way to extend the short spring ramp season several months into summer!
If you love these Ramp Filled Crescent Rolls, here are more of my delicious Ramp Recipes that you gotta try:
- Sausage Tortellini Soup with Ramp Greens
- Morel Mushroom and Ramp Chowder
- Ramp Crackers with Creme Fraiche
- Gluten Free Wild Ramp Fritters
Ramp Filled Crescents
- 1 package refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 1 cup ramps finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Organic Grass-Fed Butter or Ghee
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup gruyere cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook finely chopped ramps in butter for 2-3 mintues or until soft.
- Add cream cheese to the skilet, stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Roll out crescent roll dough. Spread ramp cream cheese filling onto each triangle and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Then roll up.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 mintues or until golden brown.
- Enjoy while warm, room temperature or chilled in the fridge.
If you have food restrictions try this Gluten-Free Vegan Crescent Rolls with Ramp Filling Recipe, I haven’t tried it personally but it sounds good.